In late spring this year the restaurant Grajska gostilnica in Radovljica was given a new lease of life when it was taken over by Borut Salmič, who previously worked as Head Chef at several prestigious restaurants in the Gorenjska region, including Lambergh Chateau and Hotel.
It’s great to have a new (albeit old) restaurant in the centre of Radovljica, with a view over the town park. It offers top-quality food at affordable prices – classic Slovene dishes as well as more modern cuisine ‘ all with an added twist from Borut.
I have visited quite a few times in the past couple of months and have been working my way through the menu. In addition to the main menu, there is a snack menu, daily lunch specials and a wine cellar where special events can be held.
Starters include cold-cut boards and soups.
Main courses include steaks, pasta, risottos, fish, salad plates and more.
And my personal favourite, stuffed dough parcels (kruhki), served on a board with dips:
Home-made desserts are a particularly speciality, and for someone like me with a very sweet tooth they are heavenly.
Grajska gostilnica will be (re)joining the other Taste Radol’ca restaurants, and preparations are well-underway for this year’s opening event next month. More on that soon – watch this space!
More information about Grajska gostilnica can be found here – http://en.grajska-gostilnica.si/home.html
These days I spend quite a significant amount of time scouring the internet and other media to find out what events are going on in the local, and wider, area and have discovered that next weekend, 18 – 20 September, there is an awful lot going on. In fact, almost too much!
It’s a shame as, inevitably, with so many things going on, it will be impossible to get to all of them. Should any of the event organisers happen to be reading this, perhaps for the future it would be worth considering some kind of co-ordination ‘date-wise’ as it would mean higher attendance numbers at events and more opportunities for us i.e. Joe Public’ to attend them, since this past weekend, there were no such events.
Anyway, that’s just my two-pennies worth, though, I suppose its better to have too many events than not enough! So, here are just some of the larger events taking place next weekend. Now I must just decide which to attend!
- Festival of Honey at the Beekeeping Centre of Gorenjska in Lesce – Saturday 19th Sept from 10am – 6pm (http://www.cricg.si/seznam/dogodek/dan-medu-v-kulinariki-festival-medu/)
- Celebration of Cheese and Wine – Saturday 19th Sept 12pm – 12am – Camp Danica, Bohinjska Bistrica – http://www.bohinj.si/en/experiencing_bohinj/cows_ball_bohinj
- The Cow Ball (Kravji bal) in Bohinj – Sunday 20th Sept – (as per link above)
- Mošnje Days (Mošenjski dnevi) in Mosnje – Fri 18 & Sat 19 Sept – http://radolca.si/kaj-poceti/dogodki/mosenjski-dnevi/83/555/
- Sweet Istra (Sladka Istra) – Sat 19th & Sun 20 Sept – Koper – http://www.sladka-istra.si/sl/
- 435th Anniversary of the Lipica Stud Farm and Stud Farm Open Day – Sun 20 Sept 10am – 6pm – http://www.lipica.org/en/events/2015/09/14/115-435th-anniversary-of-the-Lipica-Stud-Farm-The-Day-of-the-Lipica-Stud-Farm